Instead of the usual banter, this blog will follow my adventures while on a sabbatical from my church in order to write my dissertation. NO it won’t say “Slept till noon” every day.
I’m one week (or so) into this sabbatical thing and I still feel like it is life as normal. I find that even though I’m not involved in the day to day work at church, I still am thinking a lot about what is going on there. I’m not worried about the church. I am confident in the leadership and congregation but it is very difficult to stop thinking about church things when everyday for the past 11 years that was what I did. So though my body is separated from the church physically, it proves to be a challenge to separate my thoughts.
On a more practical level, you may be wondering what I have accomplished so far...maybe not....I don’t know but I need to fill some space so here it goes.
PHIL’S SABBATICAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS...SO FAR
• Finished my case study and survey tools. Now waiting on my advisor to approve the whole shabang.
• Read three books and took notes: “Grounded Theory” by Charmaz, “Case Study Research” by Yin and “Reviewing Leadership” by Banks and Ledbetter.
• Got to level four on The “Hulk” game for the Wii.
• Drank at least 6 gallons of coffee (various brands).
• Spent some time with the family over the holidays.
• Cleaned fallen trees from my dad’s house (Trying to get that washboard stomach back).
• Took 1 nap (This is a miracle in the truest sense. Those of you who know my situation, understand what I mean.)
Well that’s pretty much it so far. Not rocket science...except during the Hulk game.
Originally posted TUESDAY, JANUARY 6, 2009